How to Apply for a Job
Trying to find a job is usually a stressful, unpleasant experience. Luckily, we’re here to help. By following these steps, you can cut down on the stress. This will put yourself in a much better position to land the job.
- Review the job description for the position you are applying to.
- Review your resume to ensure that your experience, skills, and certifications are useful to the position.
- Revise your cover letter to make it specific to this position.
- Did you list the company name?
- Did you list the position you are applying to?
- Did you write why you are interested in the position?
- Did you write why you are a great applicant?
- Answer any supplementary questions they ask.
- Find the email to the hiring department or manager
- Send a follow-up email to ensure the application was received.
Subject: (position title) Application for (Name)
To whom this may concern (or dear Mr./Ms. Name)
My name is (name) and on (date of application
submission), I submitted my application for the
(position title) at (company). If there is any other
information needed to support my application,
please let me know via email (insert email) or phone (insert number).
I look forward to hearing from you soon,
By following the steps outlined in this article, you put yourself in a solid position to at least land an interview. With enough time and patience, this will turn into a job. For more helpful information, including on how to land a job, visit Union Kitchen’s Resource guide.